Monday, March 17, 2008

What to write?

It's been so long I'm not quite sure what to write about, I'm outta the funk. Mmmmm... I suppose the topic of food is a good place to start...

Inspired by my fanatically healthy sister I just made the yummiest tuna salad. It has lettuce, capsicum, snow peas, heaps of parsley, sesame and sunflower seeds, corn, some dried dates, tomato, parmesan cheese and a dressing of olive oil and lime juice. SO GOOD! But I can never get it to taste quite as good as hers. While I was cutting and dicing Bubby was pulling his nappy off, dripping his icy pole all over the floor, trying to find anything in the pantry that's good for spilling (curry powder, rice etc), pulling out all the dried banana from its packet and serving it up on his breakfast plate along with his left over mango, rambutan and vegemite toast and trying to spot all the baby geckos that are all over the place at the moment.

Once upon a time he responded to most things affirmatively. His cute little "yeah" sounded like "yeow" and everything was "Yeah", "cool", "okay. Now he sound quite disagreeable and everything's "no", "no", "no", "no", "no" punctuated by a high pitched scream and furious head shaking. Little punk!

He can say heaps of hard stuff now like "pumpkin" and "penguins". He's getting the hang of using a plural for more than one and he can count up to two and speak in sentences! He knows who are the girls and who are the boys and therefore who has a "dicky" and who has a "mimmi" (you have to talk about something when you're both sitting on the pot).

Izzy's Dad has finally landed himself a job that he enjoys and includes travel. He's the sound and lighting guy for the Sydney Hotshots. (Think "Manpower".) So far he's been to Bathurst, Brisbane, he's in New Zealand now for the next month and when they get back will be going to Perth and Darwin! I was in Cairns on the weekend and got to go op-shopping (YAY!) and came across a Hotshots T-Shirt. Ha ha. I think Izzy's a bit petrified that he's going to start working on his muscle definition, learn all the choreography and audition! Please no!

I've started up a "Mum's Movie Night" and extended an ongoing invitation to some of the hardworking Mums I know to ditch the kids on a Thursday night and come over to my place for a movie and dessert. So far it's only been my sister and my wonderful neighbour, so it's been a nice intimate affair but I hope some others manage to come every once in a while. So far we've watched Juno with pecan danish and The Nanny Diaries with sponge roll. Watched There Will Be Blood with Greg the other night, he thought it was a bit boring but I loved watching Daniel Plainview descent into madness and alcoholism. It was riveting. Daniel Day Lewis rocks. I loved him in The Crucible. That movie was awesome. Does anyone have any movie recommendations for a bunch of ladies because the Nanny Diaries was so Walt Disney. We need something a little edgier than that!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm... Girl Interrupted?

Averil said...

Movies I've loved lately:

Lars and the Real Girl
The Waitress
Dan in the Real World

Clare said...

What a great idea - movie and ladies night. I wish I could join you!

Some suggestions from me..(I think foreign comedies for the most part)

The Waitress is awesome! I loved that movie.
The Chorus
Mrs Palfrey at The Claremont
Unconditional Love
Keeping Mum
Greenfingers
Thank you for smoking

some of those are a bit old but I liked every one of them. Let us know if you watch any of them. x

Kisses said...

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes please join us! I think I've heard of The Waitress - with Kerry Russel is it? And the Director was murdered afterwards by some random? (We use random as a noun these days.)

Clare said...

yes she was murdered by a construction worker in a neighbouring building - really sad. He just got convicted actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly

Anonymous said...

Your tuna salad sounds WONDERFUL! I have odd taste in movies...Superhero/SciFi mostly. Scott just finished watching 300 and I'll admit, I did not watch the entire thing, but what I did see was really good...a little more violence/blood than I usually watch, but a great movie.

Anonymous said...

there are always the classics
when harry met sally, you've got mail, french kiss(A kiss in Paris?).

I like under the Tuscan Sun, Must love dogs, but really I like things blowing up and total silliness...XXX, the rundown, a knight's tail

or how about something totally freaky like the usual suspects!

Anonymous said...

Bravo, your idea it is very good