Thursday, August 7, 2008

My real Babies

Well, after their last teary farewell Izzy's dad, Paul, has decided he's moving back up this way towards the end of the year and Izzy has decided he wants to live with him. I know it's about time Paul did some actual parenting but I'm pretty worried about the prospect. I don't think he's had much practice at thinking of anyone elses needs but his own. Izzy's never been left waiting, lost, injured, he's never gone to school without enough lunch to feed about three kids, he's used to saying "What's cookin' Mumoola?" and having a good dinner at night. I've known Paul to cook... twice! I know he'll try his best - I just hope he has it in him!! It'll mean a big heap of changes for Iz - he's going into high school next year, which is enough of a change in itself, but moving in with Paul means that he'll more than likely be going to a different high school - where he'll only know one other student - a girl, three grades above him! So he'll be going to high school as a "new kid", without his Mum around to help him get himself organised (he needs help too, a result of all the over pampering I've done through the years. If Greg hadn't of come along I'd still be doing up his laces and pulling his clothes on for him). Anyway I suppose I'll put off stressing out over it until when it actually happens. In the meantime there's an info night I'll have to attend, lets hope it's better than the options around here.

Anakin's acting deaf at the moment and then when he does realise what I'm saying he disagrees with me. It's like this:
Me "There's usually a horse in that paddock over there but he's not there today."
Anakin "What?"
Me "There's usually a horse over there behind that fence, but I don't see him now."
Anakin "What Mum?"
ME "I usually see a horse in that paddock but they must have shifted him because he's not there anymore"
Anakin "What?"
Me "The horse, he's usually over there."
Anakin "No he's not."

We just got back from a drive into town to share a piece of crumbed fish and drop my wobbly tyre in at the bike slash toy shop. The last time I was in there I bought Anakin a little cheapie stroller for his doll "Bockie" - it was the best $14 I ever spent, he loves pushing around his babydoll. Except his doll is pretty lifelike and the last time we went to the markets, there were trails of gasping people all around us, hanging onto one another and talking behind hands. Dead set they thought the doll was real and here he is half falling out of the stroller and me swinging it up over my shoulder when Anakin had had enough pushing. I few times I'd stop to talk to marketeers and I'd say "Yeah some oldies over there thought it was real and told me I nearly gave them a heart attack" and they'd be like "Oh My God! That's what we thought, we were about to ring the police!"

2 comments:

0 said...

lol.. that one girl is going to a private school next year, sorry! Got a good book 4 you that has a bit about this exact situation. Oh! BTW for year 8 there is an interview process and only a certain number of places... unless ur in the catchment area - then you get automatic entry. Chooks math teacher told us at parent teacher night a couple of weeks ago, that Cairns High is for those who dance are arty or into sport, not for anyone who wants to do well academically - WTF... coulda mentioned that BEFORE I enrolled my kid there eh?! lol

Anonymous said...

Maybe he'd be happy there on weekends and could go to his regular school with all the familiar kids during the week?....but like you said, might as well put off stressing about it.

The baby doll story is FUNNY!.