Thursday, June 19, 2008

Enough stuff

I'm paranoid about becoming materialistic. Compulsively buying things we don't need gives me the guilts. I love it round here because going to the shops takes ages and is really only an outing to get the groceries. We need to change our approach when we are in Cairns too. We need to bypass WOW and head straight for the 'nard. Avoid Rebel Sports for another shipping container of Spalding Handballs on our way to Crystal Creek.

We've been in the process of cleaning out our spare room and so far I've got a boot load of books and clothes, shoes and toys for the Salvos. There is something to be said for decluttering that's for sure. The challenge will be to keep the exposed shelf space from filling up again.

As Anakin's birthday approaches I'm determined not to feel the need to shower him in presents. (Maybe just two ;) I don't want him to grow up with the "Gimme's" We'll throw him a big barbeque and give him a wonderful day surrounded by family. My birthday is coming up too - you know what I want? I filing cabinet to help me stay organized and uncluttered!

The matrix below illustrates my fantasy about living in a gypsy caravan. Now not much stuff is going to fit in there is it?! The four of us would have to have one each!

I'm doing alright I suppose. I've overcome the feeling of needing a copy of all my favourite books. I don't have a DVD collection.. Or a shopping bag full of toothbrushes, like one of my sisters friends. Clothing is my weakness - it's tough for me to stay away from the op-shop. Last Saturday I scored a pair of $300 RELIGION cargo's that still had all the tags on for $35! And as I've mentioned I've already got about a dozen stacks and that was after cleaning out the closet!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love good bargains!

Clare said...

what is the op-shop?!

Clare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kisses said...

The "Op-Shop" is short for opportunity shop, or another name for a thrift shop - LifeLine, Salvo's, St Vinnies etc - basically a charity organisation that sells donated second-hand clothes - where you'll find me on a Saturday morning scouting around for some deadly threads that set themselves apart from the generic, boring shit they sell at chain stores.

Anonymous said...

Its different from my side that I often feel Motel Rokes Clothes comfortable and happy to bought and get Motel Clothing discount through which I get discounts.