Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dud Dads

Sigh – I did all my hair removal ages ago thinking I’d bask in some glorious winter sun and ever since it’s been gloomy and grey and cold and drizzling. I’ve totally had enough of this sh*t weather. I’ll bet I’ll be a wooly mammoth by the time the sun comes out again. Pfft.

Izzy had to say goodbye to his Dad on Friday. He packed up his car with his girlfriend and his drumkit and is making his way down to Sydney. He called from Gladstone saying Iz could go and live with him any time he liked. I said “No Thanks” – I’d die without my boy. Poor kid.

He thinks of random things to say when he’s about to cry to try and distract himself and as his dad was backing out of the carport it was “Mum can I use that rope and that bush lemon there and make a mace and get that dog next door real good…” while his voice tremored and he blinked tears away from his eyes. I’m sure he would have had a big lump in his throat all day, it was too cruel to send him to school so I took him to Innisfail with his cousin to spend his pocket money and visit his Great Grans instead. I’m just so glad he’s not an only child anymore. He gets big big love from his little bruss as well as his “Mumoola”.

We had another meeting at the bank this arve so as far as I understand all that’s left to sign is the mortgage papers and it’s a done deal. Happy happy joy joy!

I mentioned the acquisition of our creek block to my dentist because her name matches it’s street address and it turns out she raised up all her kids out there way back when. (There was only like two lots of neighbours). She reckons it was an excellent place to be and told me they’d all get together for themed dinners on the weekend. She reckons, “We were great cooks too. We ate some sumptuous feasts.”

Ever since then I can’t stop thinking about the word “Sumptuous” and how it just sounds like it means. It’s a deadly word.

We had a couple of cassowaries in the yard today and Anakin got to check them out fairly closely through the window. He was riveted and very excited and got to use his favourite word “bird” in context. (Seeing as he’s use to birds a 20th of the size that fly all over the sky it could have been a dinosaur for all he knew but I told him it was a birdie and he believed me.)

Talked to Dad on the phone yesterday morning for the first time in months, I haven’t seen him in so long which is pretty bad considering he only lives about 40k’s away. He said any time soon he was expecting his ‘divorce’ papers in the mail from his two daughters. That’d be about right too.

Had a beautiful dinner with the neighbours on their sprawling timber deck last night. (It’s really all about the size of your “deck”.) They cranked up The Beatles followed by Rage Against the Machine and Pearl Jam – that's hilarious - I love it! Then after all the kids were put to bed they joined us in our cozy lounge for beverages and sweets and Little Britian. They’re awesome neighbours.

No comments: