Sunday, January 6, 2008

Accidents

Me and Bubby went up to the shed this arvie to see what Greg was up to. We found him hunched down with his back to us and at first I thought he was working out some measurements on the concrete floor with his builders chalk as he often does and I said "Hey! What are you doin'?" As I came closer I noticed he wasn't figuring out anything, he was buckled over in a pile holding his bleeding face. He reckons "I've hurt myself, leave me alone, I need a couple of minutes." Oh shit. Not good. I kind of hovered around a bit trying to give him the space he needed to recompose and to stop feeling the need to throw up, then he let me have a quick look at what he'd done. Jesus and Mary! Let's just say he's lucky he's still got his left eyeball.. He was testing out the floor to ceiling punching ball he'd just hung in the shed and he's a 100 kilo's of muscle, he would've been thumping it around with some force - anyway the clip that is suppose to secure the rubber strap to the floor bolt broke and flung up and smashed him fair in the eye. His eyelid was sliced open and bleeding and there was this concentrated area of swelling that was just sticking so far out. He wasn't game to open his eye at that stage. The outside of it was messy enough. His parents were due any minute and here he was sitting in Anakin's cubby with a lump of ice on his mutilated eye. I tried to cheer him up and told him I didn't think his astounding good looks were going to be messed up for too long.

I'm okay. Thanks for asking. I'm kinda use to it with Greg. He gets into fights at basketball and comes home via the ambulance station with stitches in his face and black eyes. He roles his ankles scrimaging. He capsizes his boat in the croc infested river and calls on me to ring the coast guard from some tiny little sandbar that's probably disappearing with the tide. Once I was sitting in a stairwell when he fell over the hand rail about three flights of stairs above me and landed right in front of my eyes, missing me and my gf by about three centimetres and taking out some other poor innocent bystander. As if the crunch of his backbone as he landed on it wasn't enough for me to handle, he got up momentarily before passing out and cracking his head on the ground. At that point I became a hysterical. That was really the worst sound I've ever heard. I thought he was going to be a paraplegic. He already had a bad back! At the moment he's also limping around on two very sore feet. He sliced the bottom of one wide open on a roofing screw, slipping across the wet shed roof. (I hope he never falls off that - it's over 4 meters high!) and he cracked one of his ankles while he was up there as well.

To tell you the truth my dad was just as bad. It seemed like it was always something with him too. He'd just be recovering from a serious motorbike accident when he'd run over his foot with the mower. He'd get bitten by a poisonous snake just after barely surviving a bought of leptosclerosis.

It's a bloody wonder they're both still alive.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good god woman, how do you stand it? I'd be on perscription drugs for sure.

I hope he heals well. Now & ever.

@workingwomenaus said...

How on earth do you have the nerves to withstand his ...um...clumsiness/antics/craziness?! What would you call it?

You've clearly got nerves of steel - I'd be a raving lunatic everytime he left the house!

Anonymous said...

We had a very bloody nosed and bruised chest here the other day after Bubba slipped on some ice. If he's going to continue this through his adult life I am going to need a prescription!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! How's the eye? You must have nerves of STEEL!

Averil said...

Yowch!

Men.

Jenn said...

How's he going today?

Clare said...

Wow. I felt sick for you from all that! I hope he heals up soon.

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

Holy Hell, woman. I don't know how you can stand the stress.

Hope he's feeling better. You have some Xanax, right? ;)