Saturday, January 12, 2008

Flashback Friday on Saturday

Yesterday was my niece's 14th birthday. 14!! Oh my God. I was witness to her moment of birth and I tell you it was totally off the radar as far as awesome experiences go. Her little body sprung out in front of my eyes at exactly 11 past 11am on the 11th of the 1st - definitely rates as one of the top days of my entire life. I was so thrilled at being her Auntie - here are some pictures to prove it and others that show me and my sister the day she was born. These days she's a talented artist, brilliant with animals, a natural green thumb, gives her mum plenty of headaches, has a cleavage, wears makeup and kisses guys.

As has become a tradition my sister and I took her shopping in Cairns with some of her girlfriends. Strictly a girls day out. Yet again I was out and about minus the little "hipwart". This year the whole little posse of princesses bought themselves matching tiaras and got around like a bunch of mini-divas. Which of course they are. Me and Nick hung out at the health food shop buying Macca powder, herbal toothpaste and fibre tone and when I was desperate for a nice big slab of chocolate cake at a coffeeshop, because of my very health conscious company, I was semi-guilted into a punnet of blueberries and a salad from woolies instead. Needless to say I'm still hanging out for that piece of cake.

I got to do some back-to-school shopping for Izzy, which has been explained here once before as being one of my favourite kinds. I bought Anakin a beautiful boardbook by Graeme Base titled "The Waterhole" and a watering can for his sandpit. Plus I spent some time on a futile mission driving around trying to track down the particular mobile phone the birthday girl wanted.

Well in between this paragraph and the second last one I got that piece of cake I was hankering for, along with an all you can eat buffet. Groan.. I hate the feeling of being overfed. Today I restocked my pantry with masses of nuts and dried fruit and the fruit bowl with mangoes and bananas so tomorrow I think is a good day to start exercising some portion control, eliminating the processed food and cutting back on the sweets.

Bubby cut one of his eye teeth last night. They've been bulging at the gums lately and this morning I could tap the tip of it with my fingernail. He'll find those real handy for munching up all the brazil, hazelnuts and almonds he loves to munch on all day long.

Izzy and his cousins' latest saying is "how about a rope around that fresh neck". I dunno where on Earth that one came from but as with everything they rave on about I find it totally catching.

2 comments:

@workingwomenaus said...

I love traditions between mother and daughter (and aunty in this case!). You've inspired me to start planning a new one for Bella's birthday.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo collage. Is that her in the lower center? I can see a resemblance between you and her. Pretty ladies.
My niece is 13 now! Isn't being an Auntie wonderful?
Sam's over on the east coast, so we go shopping on-line together. dragging links into our chat window. It works out great. But not as great as having her nearby.