Monday, May 12, 2008

It's BURST!!

In the course of a conversation the other day I heard "loofah" pronounced as "lootha" and "gauze" as "gorge". A friend's Mum was telling me how she "newztoo go into the salon" while her daughter smiled and listened intently and I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from shrieking "what are you trying to say??" I mean there's slang and there's just mispronunciation. "We busted the blue balloon", "I can't believe how inaffected they are" - from fully grown adults! I didn't realise I was living in Hicksville - then again my sister is shackin' up with my brother...in law.

6 comments:

R.J. Keller said...

My pet peeve is "could of." It's "could HAVE" people!!!

But what can you do?

BTW, I'm glad you loved The Book Thief. That man is a genius. Marcus Zusak, Luke Davies...looks like all the great modern writers are Aussies.

0 said...

Shackin' up... as in moving in together? (Gasp of horror!) lol

Jenn said...

rofl

it's a special place

Anonymous said...

My husband's command of the english language is, well let's just say less than stellar so I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

As for the "shakin' up....that reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy joke, something about "...when your family tree makes a wreath!"
(sorry I couldn't resist) ; )

Shel said...

awww...spesh. You are now officially a family of Clampetts. Up and move to the hills now ya hear!!!????

Are they seriously shacking up?? Is that not a tad bizarre for you guys?? I'd freak. Seriously F.R.E.A.K.

Kisses said...

"I don't recall the baby being this granulated!" Hee hee.

Yep, the Wreath is about to become the family emblem! And that hillbilly banjo anthem Izzy likes to imagine accompanies all his wild story telling won't be IMAGINED for much longer either the way things are going around here!