Thursday, May 29, 2008

Something about Mary

I hosted a Mary Kay party since we last talked. Made $611 worth of sales which entitled me to order a heap of freebies, so I can't wait for all that to arrive in the mail. I actually signed up as a consultant at a GF's party a few weeks ago because the consultancy kit included what I was about to order and was way more value. I made myself perfectly clear that I had no intention of being an active consultant but that I thought considering the few friends and family that buy the products I could probably keep my membership current by putting an order in here and there. Anyway then after that particularly shit day at school I thought hey maybe there's a future in this for me. Then I tried to actually apply some makeup, which I'm absolutely shocking at, I managed to get glittery eyeshadow residues from arsehole to breakfast time and within about 5 minutes it looked like my whole face had kind of slipped right off it's target. I think I'll just stick to facepainting. I went to one of the MK training sessions just for interests sake and because Greg happened to have that day off. It was alright, reminded me a bit of a cult. I'm suppose to write all these affirmations for homework because next week they're doing up "dreamboards", photo montage sounds right up my alley but spare me all New Age jargon. Don't think I'll make it back. Still I might work on some goal setting to give me a bit of direction. I "manifested" my perfect perfect block of land, in the perfect location for the perfect price, maybe there's something in it after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the old MK cult. When I was 12 or 13, my mother had a brief stint at selling MK. As a girl, I memorized her "skin care class" scripts, and took all of the positive thinking advice to heart. Our consultant (before and after my mom's stint) was/is a dear dear family friend. Back in the day, the whole selling point of MK was how youthful women can look if they use the skin care products religiously. So I decided I would use MK my whole life and see if I could follow in the steps of MK Ash Herself (i.e., maintain a young look). I'm STILL using MK skin care. It'll be interesting to see how young I look in 10 years. Hee hee.

R.J. Keller said...

I was a MK consultant for a brief time. It was fun, and I got good stuff for half price. I couldn't take all of those pep meetings, though, and petered out after about six months...

@workingwomenaus said...

I agree that any selling schemes can be a little cult like! But keep getting a discount, and practising your face painting ;) *I secretly love MK*

Anonymous said...

When I was 13 my mom threw a MK party for me and 3 or 4 of my my friends. She said if we insisted that we needed to wear makeup that we needed to learn to apply it properly! LOL.

About 10 years ago when I managed a nursing agency in Southern Maryland one of my nurses was a MK consultant. She came to me with a sob story about needing to get this order in so that she could get her Emerald status or something and that she hadn't collected all the money from her sales yet. Like a big fat dummy I let her charge $1000 to my credit card. Needless to say I was burned so, as much as I love the MK moisturizer I can't bring myself to purchase another bottle!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, that's so awful that that woman stole from you!!

Kim, the truth is, I love MK, too. I'm a user for lifetime. I've dedicated my face to science: I'm a petri dish, if you will.