Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Baby, and hers




Anakin is walking heaps everyday now, but it’s definitely not his most preferred choice of mobility yet. He looks so adorable lurching along with his hands outstretched looking like a little zombie baby.

He’s using a few more words too. Every time he sees a cuppa he says “Hort” (hot) in this real low, german sounding way. He imbues it with so much meaning. Another one he likes to use is “Dadd-o” but he not only uses it for Dad but duck and sheep and all the other animals in his books. He likes to play peek-a-boo games but the way he says “BOO!” isn’t the usual way, he drags it right out with a little inflection on the end so it sounds more like a question – it’s so gorgeous.

He’s preferred his books over all his other toys lately too. His favourites are those with real or life like pictures of animals and farm stuff. (He goes red in the face making this very convincing roaring noise for the lions and big cats…and geese and wallabies, it sounds painful like he’s going to damage his larynx!) And he loves lift and look books.

And finally he can give proper little kisses now! Not big slobbery ones that end in getting your lips bitten!

We had an excellent weekend as usual. Took the boys in to basketball Saturday morning and I tried not to spend too much money at the bakery. (I’m addicted to Palmiers.)

By the time we got home I had some distinguished visitors arrive – time to whip up some sweet muffins and whip out the royal vale tea-set. I love tea parties! My GF showed me pictures of her recent trip to Melbourne to see The Cure (lucky,lucky,lucky!) and her fabulous man took all the kids down to Izzy’s school fete for a run-around so we could catch up without 53 thousand kids in the house. (Legend!)

My brother rocked up for a visit and helped Greg fix up some plumbing problems we’ve had out in the yard – he ended up staying the night too along with my niece who came to have monopoly wars with Izzy.

Come 4o’clock me and Iz had to head back down to the school to do our stint at the “side-show-alley”. We were in charge of the “Slap-in-the-face-with-a-wet-Sponge” game. That was fun. We made huge business when the kid from next door stuck his head through the hole – everyone came flocking in from miles away! Mmmm – saying something?

Sunday was just as good except Greg had to work. Me and Nicholas and the kids met Nick down at the markets to do the vege shopping. We stopped and had cuppas and cake at the Churchy stall. (They do good business out of us!) Saw some teachers who made comments like “I heard you were taking E’s class next year. Are you sure you only want to do one day a week? Are you sure you don’t want to do two days for me?” So it sounds like work will definitely be coming my way. Good good!

The rest of Sunday was spent making a trifle for Family Night. (I had to google Trifle Recipes and guess where it sent me? – Right back to EB!) I wasn’t really sure what I was doing but it turned out yum anyway. I made custard for it and jelly, I put in sponge and tinned berries and peaches and finished it off with whipped cream and crushed walnuts. Mmm-mm. I don’t know how we fit it in after grilled fish, pasta with veges and raw baby spinach, avocado, cucumber salad, roast potato, sweet potato, taro, squash, capsicum, zucchini and hot bread rolls. We eat like bloody Kings and Queens – I tell ya!

Then we had to race home so me and Mum could watch Kath & Kim. The rest of ‘em hate it.

I can’t stop thinking about this artist I saw on “Artist at Work”. Her name was Linde Ivimey. She collected all these bones from her property and out of their meals and scrubbed them right up to use in her artwork. She made these freakish Voodoo doll looking things. She moulded and carved their feet and then worked on them from there up. She dyed all the fabric for their garmets and made little pouches and shangai’s and bone necklaces for them and stuff. She used feathers and bit’s and pieces of everything. She didn’t like commissioning too much because they were all like her babies. If she wanted to keep one of them she’d do something like stitch the key to her front door into it’s stuffing so it’d find it’s way back home.

Her sculptures/children/whatever-the- heck-they-were were described as having talismanic powers and I wouldn’t be at all surprised, the amount of devotion she put into them. Except that they were these nightmarish looking freaky things that’d make kids go running away screaming! Her first exhibition was sold out. I suppose by all those same people that watch SAW and CSI.

No comments: