Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Wedding Bells

Well I didn’t get my Posh Spice haircut – came away looking more like Katie Homes – a like a sexed up librarian look but this is just too Nanna-ish for me! It’s like a dud version of my last haircut – looked alright while she was doing it but once it fully dried I was like Blurk! I hate looking so conservative – it doesn’t suit me at all!

The wedding was huge and beautiful. Having had such a term of abstinence I was drunk with my first glass of wine and very excited to be catching up with so many of the old crowd.
The only part that I struggled with was keeping quiet through all the teary speeches – it was a bloody big bridal party – it took ages! I mean it was my first night out without Bubby ever! It was all about me! They could’ve been a bit more considerate! Geez. (Jokes Kayce - it was awesome!)

No wonder I can’t even appreciate the basic rituals of a wedding – my life is basically void of them! Watching stuff on SBS about more traditional cultures has got me thinking about the limit of ritualized activities in our society (based on spiritualism and family values – not drinking alcohol or smoking or having cups of tea!). If you’re not religious like my family and don’t engage in things like christenings and baptisms and debutants, there just aren’t any. No wonder I feel like there’s big holes in areas of my life!

I think, as heads of the family, Greg and I are going to have to decide on some things that are important to us and try to consistently work them into our lives that build us strong as a family unit – rituals (if you can call them that) that build on from things like Family Night and No TV Day – that the kids can count on happening at a set time. Regular things like a bonfire night and special stuff like a weekend on a houseboat or something – that might only happen once in a year or two. We can build up traditions that are just for the family and then have stuff that always involve friends or something that is just for me and Greg or Greg and the boys. Poor little scamps don’t exactly have much of a spiritual foundation with me as a mother – I have to do something to give them a sense of connectedness!

Big news! Anakin took his first toddle on Friday! 5 or 6 steps in a row – what a champion! Except he hasn’t shown any real interest in extending himself since then. He’s been acting like his mum though and has been really extending himself in the area of digestion.

We took him to the Newlyweds Barbie on Saturday and he put away whole sausages and potato salad and noodles, and that came after his eating binge during the morning on kiwi’s and stickyrice and avocado and pizza! What a little porky pie!

No comments: