Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Awake is the New Sleep

Do you ever have dreams where you are agonizingly aware that you’re dreaming and you try desperately to wake yourself up? When I’m getting freaked out in a dream I can usually concentrate really hard on peeling my eyes open and somehow I manage to. The other night I dreamt I was in the middle of this waterscape – lagoons and ponds and quagmires everywhere, this was unsettling me because crocodiles have a habit of surfacing in my watery dreams, so I began to focus all my energies on waking. I was rubbing my eyes hard as walruses lumbered out of the water and fish flip-flopped around, I expanded my eyes as wide as they would go as little ‘gators and grey crocs began to emerge. I tried everything I could with all my might, but I was trapped there in my dream, uneasy and struggling at the mercy of all that was unfolding before me. Then, with one small brush of my babies face against me, I was as wide awake as I could possibly be, in a nanosecond.

It’s amazing how tuned in a mother is to her babies needs. So many times I have woken from sleep a moment before Isaiah’s form appears in my dark doorway or a moment before he begins to turn my doorknob or just before he calls out “Marm”.

Mmmm, I’m enjoying a big steamy thermal of coffee with a generous slurping of frangelico, it’s delicious. Would you like? I don’t think it will cause a malfunction of our motherly intuition…maybe a smidgen, but I doubt it.

Please don't rain, please don't rain, please don't rain...

No comments: