Saturday, March 10, 2007

Is Fresh? Is Good!

Now my baklava has been known to pull out caps but the almond biscotti I made on Sunday is hard enough to snap off whole teeth I reckon! Bubby is safe as he still hasn’t got any yet. He likes them, they’re a bit like rusks to him, actually they’re more like rocks!

I’m usually a fairly good cook, so it sucks when recipes backfire on me. My cooking usually turns out a lot better when I just freestyle it.Last night I tweeked a Jamie Oliver recipe “Rigatoni with Sweet Tomatoes, Aubergine and Mozzarella” and added bacon, pumpkin, climbing spinach, capsicum and zucchini. We didn’t eat it with rigatoni either, we ate it with ravioli. I suppose it wasn’t like the original recipe at all, but it was way better.

Me and Greg are big fans of Jamie Oliver. In particular I love how Jamie Oliver encourages shoppers not to scrimpe on quality in regard to produce, because this backs me up in another of mine and Greg’s ongoing domestic disputes. I do most of the grocery and market shopping because I do most of the cooking and I spend up big too because I like to have loads of fresh yummy healthy stuff in the kitchen, so we’re less tempted to eat rubbish. I buy real maple syrup and real vanilla essence, not the dodgy artificial kind. I don’t hesitate in buying big bags of fresh macadamia nuts and cashews, expensive dragon fruits, sugar plums and gold kiwis that the kids love. Occasionally we have to throw out the odd piece of taro or handful of grapes, but that happens when you buy so much fresh stuff. Greg’s idea of food shopping is to bring home a big variety of 2L bottles of softdrink to mix with his moonshine and 5 or so bags of black and gold cheesy-poofs to get washed down with his moonshine. Real nutritious hey? Cheap though and won’t go off either! Lucky he’s got me looking after him.

No comments: